Sunday, April 3, 2016

Dance

I recently viewed a video that illustrated cartoon birds dancing to a classical overture and I was highly amused by it. Typically I associate dancing with more modern, hip-hop music. However, this video opened my eyes and made me remember that dancing is not exclusive and it can be done using any kind of music.

Dictionary.com defines dancing as "to move one's feet or body, or both, rhythmically in a pattern of steps, especially to the accompaniment of music". I think this is an excellent definition. Dancing can be done with or without music, but I personally find it more effective with music. Dancing, just like music, is an art. It can be used to express actions or emotions that are difficult to express using other forms of communication. While it can be used to express, dancing can also be more informal and it can be performed simply for the pleasure or enjoyment of oneself or others.

As in the video of the birds dancing to the classical overture, dancing can be used to help illustrate music. Music stimulates the auditory senses and systems of the brain. Dancing adds another element to this and stimulates the visual senses and system of the brain as well. Engaging multiple areas of the brain is much more exciting and beneficial than just stimulating one or two. I believe this is why many people enjoy going to see ballets or other types of dancing shows or performances. I enjoy going to see performances like those as well because they are very entertaining and they do indeed stimulate many areas of my brain.

I would like to recommend that everyone consider going to a dancing performance or show sometime soon. You might be surprised by how much you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment